Slightly Shirley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Band Stuff

+2
Corinne
Tony
6 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty response from colleague re costs see below:

Post  Emmy Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:09 am

'For weddings you should be looking at at least £750 but for that they will expect around 2 hours worth of material, which is probably about 35+ songs. The sort of stuff that you do should be well suited to the wedding market and you could well find that you can charge over £1000 if you're doing it regularly.' quote, unquote as it were. Emmy

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Costs

Post  Emmy Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:53 am

Hi, I just wrote a long email regarding costs and a weird thing happened as Shelley was on line at the same time a message flashed up and my message got lost - weird hey ho here we again:

A local band in Devon booking through the following website charge Guide to fees: From £720 +
see http://www.alivenetwork.com/bandpage.asp?bandname=Alter Ego for more information.

For alternative entertainment see http://www.devonmobiledisco.co.uk/page009.html?gclid=CO6ghPTr2ZsCFU0B4wod10zq-w where a mobile dj and karaoke charge 'an idea of costs for a standard disco for 5 hours on a saturday night from 7pm - midnight is from £150.00 - £180.00.' Which is of course entirely different from a live band.

Have emailed colleague in band am am still awaiting response but as soon as I hear I will post.

I have three songs from the dress rehearsal on disc Joolz which may be of a good enough quality to use as a promo. I will bring them on Tuesday.

Tone, all good wishes from me too.

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Re: Band Stuff

Post  shelley Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:44 am

Hope you're feeling better soon Tony! Cool

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Banner Backdrop

Post  shelley Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:43 am

I think a backdrop is a really good idea, serves to gives us a bigger sense of identity. All the bands I saw at Glasto had backdrops, its a good marketing ploy to get our name registered in peoples minds. Maybe we could get Slightly Shirley screen printed onto very very large sheet, which could then be further titivated to coordinate with the whole kind of dress thing going on. I dont mind having play and coming up with a few mock up ideas?

Ill see what I can do about the photos Cor, maybe like Joolz I'll need to load them to disk, Ill speak to the photographer of the family.

ROAD TO NOWHERE - listening to the original track, actually I think that its E - C#m in the bit "theres a city in my mind" bit, not B - C#m, as per the printed chords. What do you think?

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty photos and videos

Post  joolz Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:13 am

Corinne - i'm going to have a go at editing a very short set of snippets together from the gig video so we'll be able to let charlotte have that if needed. i also have some photos of the garden rehearsal and the dress rehearsal but they're all quite large files, so not too sensible to email so would be better if I put them on CD or memory stick for you. let me know if you want them.

Steve.. your video of the gig.. whats the quality of the audio like? Emmy's video is fine, but the camera moves around quite a bit so the audio is constantly fluctuating.. it's ok, but not the best. If yours is any good, can you extract the audio and email it to me as mp3?

To all - at the Age Concern gig, Joe 'the pa', advised us to get a presence on myspace, facebook and lemonrock. I tend to agree.. but think before we do, we should have a band logo.. i'm not a graphic artist so shall stay well away from even attempting, but have any of you got such skills? I see a sort of intertwined curly-fonted Slightly Shirley. Once we have a logo it might be an idea to get a biggish banner made? We could hang it up behind us at gigs. Perhaps some of the wedding gig fund could go in that direction? Anyone agree or disagree?

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty piccies

Post  Corinne Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:48 am

Shelley, can you send through to my email account the pics your daughter took at the garden gig please? I like the banner (cept me) and wonder if i can collage something else similar but different for Charlotte? I have photo software that can do wonders. and if anyone has any of the marquee gig, that would be great too...

Tony, we're waiting to hear from a few sources what other bands charge for xmas weddings, but are thinking around the £360 mark, BOTTOM LINE and adding PA hire on top. any views welcome. Charlotte is the bride! Think I'll start with £600 all in and she if she gasps!

I will attempt to put the zoom tracks up tomorrow, today i shall be mainly suppin champers and enjoying birthday.... Razz

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty christmas wedding eh?

Post  joolz Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:23 am

Well..we might be ready by then to do 90 mins worth.. to be fair, if we agree we're interested my feeling is that a xmas wedding should pay reasonably well (ie. more than travel expenses etc.) and actually something we can pocket a wee bit of cash from. So.. i can be available for it but not interested unless its got £££ attached. (it's very close to my own anniversary!)

I'm not sure we've got anything recorded at the mo which I would be happy to release for public consumption unless the audio from Steve's video of THE gig is any good. The garden dress rehearsal recording might be good enough but will need some hefty pruning,and some audio enhancement to boost volume levels at the very least.

Tonight.. I may be a little late arriving.. my mother-in-law has arrived today for a 10 day visit! aaarrghhh.

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty wedding

Post  Corinne Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:11 am

are we available for 19th December? wedding near Exeter. Can they have a listen to the sort of things we do and how much do we charge?

i said
prices depends on travel, PA, etc

and that we could prob send them a CD of one or two songs

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Shelley your email is blocked

Post  Emmy Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:55 pm

do u have another address?

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty response to getting a key (Corinne)

Post  Emmy Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:05 am

I will send the lyrics via email to you all today of the first four we are planning to rehearse on Tuesday.

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty road to nowhere

Post  joolz Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:17 pm

i've been looking at the same version shelley.. and yes its the same key as the original talking heads version on spoitfy. i've also been playing the david byrne live at union chapel version on you tube.. and that's in G rather than E!! aaargghh.. cant make up my mind which one i prefer.. guesss it depends on where steve can sing it!
i think tuesday may have to be a night of experimentation!! Smile
J

joolz

Back to top Go down

Post  shelley Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:48 pm

and its the same chords as the version on spotify, whom I love, as she has returned to me. albino

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Road to Nowhere.....or perhaps we are indeed getting somewhere?

Post  shelley Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi guys, try this link http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/t/talking_heads/road_to_nowhere_crd.htm
for Road to Nowhere. Phil and I have just tried it and it works pretty well I think. I think we talked about Steve possibly singing it, as more quirky song and would suit his voice?

albino

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty getting a key

Post  Corinne Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:41 pm

Hows about i try and record the first ten tracks and bring along a cd player on tues... we can then get/set the key for each if we sing through ihem then?
Emmy can you put the lyrics up online via email to all of us and then we can write the tab in above before we each individually print off???

will that work any better???

and yes to a calendar where we can write the dates in we cant do, i know it's possible on a yahoo group ...

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty dates

Post  shelley Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:38 am

Yeah, any date is fine by me as far as I can see at mo!

shelley

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:41 am

I cant do 13th 14th as i'm playing at my neice's wedding ooop north. Otherwise i think others are ok.

I did kinda fancy having a go at singing Light my doors, but prob best if we let emmy have a go first. Usual key is Am but whatever you feel comfotable with.

Haven't been able to find kiss my hunney anywhere (Tab nor Chords) so may have to make it up.

I'm in library so cant get to spotify link, will try it later.

Perhaps we should try and set up calendar function again and rule out dates we can't, that might make the process a bit easier?

Cheers T-man. Cool

Tony
Admin

https://slightlyshirley.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty hmm.. what key are we playing these in?

Post  joolz Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:24 pm

I like listening to the great brass section version of the Shirley version of light my fire, but i wonder whether it has the danceability of the doors???
regardless, before i start to learn these new ones can we try and agree a key for each of them?
therefore can i suggest that emmy has a go at singing along with the versions on spotify.. and then lets us know which version she is most comfortable with.. then we can work out the key!

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Dates

Post  joolz Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:35 pm

all fine at present..

joolz

Back to top Go down

Post  Emmy Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:08 pm

I am free for all those dates too Corinne. (George is 1 on the 4th December ahhhhh)

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Post  omnivore23 Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:55 am

I'm free for all these dates

omnivore23

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty hiccup

Post  Corinne Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:21 am

just been chatting to someone about november gig and they reckon it being 6th Nov no one will come cos they'll all be out doing fireworks things... i am going to see if i can change the date to later that month
so...can you all do one of these? wonder how we can make this easier????

13th
14th

27th
28th

dec
4th
5th

????

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Version of Road to Nowhere

Post  omnivore23 Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:42 am

Indeed - and not unlike the kind of sound we'd get I reckon, with the accordion in place of the melodica.

I think the harmonies are quite important in this number.

omnivore23

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Playlist and next year

Post  omnivore23 Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:36 am

I'm free

......and here's a link to a playlist of the versions I think we're working on for next week.

http://open.spotify.com/user/omnivore/playlist/3pgkZ3u2t8RGfR41zG8mYP

"Kiss me honey" ????? That's democracy for you.

omnivore23

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty hiya...shelley , steve, can you do the march date 2010????

Post  Corinne Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:30 am

can you be availbale for gig end of march next year....? date written below, i 'll explain tues, but need a yeys of nays before i confirm anything
ta
xxxx

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty you tube, dont you just love her, when Spotify lets you down!

Post  shelley Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:01 pm

May I suggest a visit to this link for Road To Nowhere, cracking version Gromit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1omn4pDy0

Ha, like I know what Im doing!!!! If link dosnt work try youtube.com Road to nowhere by Talking Heads SixNationState. Brill.

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Yeah, just about!

Post  shelley Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:14 pm

Bastard computer wont let me open Spotify......grrrrrrr... Mad ..22 tracks to find fast!

Cor, home number 01803 310038, emails still need emptying. No

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neutral

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Shelley - you out there?

Post  Corinne Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:12 am

your email in box is full...i havent got your mobile anymore...i'm bereft... Sad

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty 27th March 2010

Post  Tony Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:36 am

I have nothing planned yet. (Its 18 days after my birthday!)

Tony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty 27 March 2010

Post  Emmy Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:39 pm

I also have nothing planned (4 days after my birthday too...)

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty the date..

Post  joolz Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:53 am

well. at the moment i have nothing organised. what's this all about?

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty 27th March 2010

Post  Corinne Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:42 am

can people let me know urgently, whether they are around for that date for a exeter gig next year please? will do details when we know if its a goer or not

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinne Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:11 pm

new songs

Light my fire - The Doors 28
Kiss me honey honey kiss me - Shirley Bassey 26
Whats new Pussy Cat - Tom Jones 26
Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads 23
Mercy - Duffy 26

Dancing in the street 25
Downtown 25
Pennylane 22
These boots are made for walking 24
Denis Denis 23

Crazy Little Thing Called Love 23
I got you babe 23
Take another piece of my heart 23
Rock Lobster 22
Black Cherry and the rocking horse 22

RESPECT 22
Goody 2 shoes 22
All you need is love 22
Love Shack 15(this shouldnt be here)
Rescue Me 21
Son of a Preacher man 21

we missed some off but which scored over 21 too. and they are
Love and Affection got 21
copacabana got 21
boy from new york city got 23
come back my love got 21
livin la vida loca got 21

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty We still have the memories...

Post  Tony Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:55 am

Not to worry about the recording, he still did a great job with the p.a. & i for one would have no probs with him doing it again. I also missed Shirley a bit this week, but I have to admit it was good to get home before midnight! Think i'm still recovering from last Wed!
C U all next week... Cool

Tony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinne Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:55 am

that is a shame but not the end of the world, we could hex him ? hubble bubble toil and ... etc no, lets move on, let it go. x

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty the recording?.. or not the recording?

Post  joolz Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:13 pm

oh dear.. some bad news i'm afraid.. i've just had an email from Joe to say his recording has failed and nothing was saved. i have to say i'm gutted cos i was really looking forward to hearing us.. aarrghhh, i really am upset.
sorry folks, it seems he let us down on that score No
so.. not such a bad thing we didn't pay him for it!

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty moonlighting...

Post  joolz Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:02 am

emmy - i just knew you were saving yourself for glasto! Very Happy
those song titles are just great, i agree.. i don't think any of my own songs beat the "if i'd have known the last time...." but i think the longest i wrote was one called "The ballad of a baked bean in a Mexican desert with a hatful of gold dust".. a very sad tale indeed. Crying or Very sad no.. don't ask!
god.. do you know i'm really missing Shirley this week.. mind you, depot-x would be a total nightmare in tonight's heat so perhaps not such a bad thing to be taking it easy....
ps. still no news from Joe on the CD.

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty I moonlighted.....

Post  Emmy Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:01 am

I love some of her song titles including:

"If I'd Known The Last Time Was Going To Be The Last Time I Would Have Let You Enjoy It"
"We Almost Had a Baby"
"Christmas in Prison"

fabulous. ha ha ha

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty emmy at glasto

Post  joolz Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:36 pm

well well.. who'd have thought it? emmy the great was performing on the john peel stage at glasto!!!

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty after effects

Post  Corinne Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:07 pm

I wos mobbed going into work thursday! they loved it, have had so many good comments, a girls shirley head could quite swell! We did good guys, really good. And this is a bit wierd, but from Age Concern pov, you were a great band that really suited the occasion, in fact you made it, we've never had people bop like that before, and sing along or strip! and, can I also say a huge thank you for your beautiful generosity.

An older lady of 80 something, got up to dance for the last two numbers, she said to my colleague who was twirling with her, she hadnt danced for 20 years, she felt alive again...and couldnt wait to tell her daughter. She said she may not be able to walk the next day, but she didnt care, it was worth it!

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty very nice comments etc..

Post  joolz Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:26 am

Hi folks.. i enjoyed it all last night and thought the whole evening was superb - the way it all came together was fantastic - i have to admit when i first looked in the tent (whoops, marquee, sorry) and seeing just a stack of tables and chairs i was thinking 'oh no'.. but when people started arriving the whole thing took shape with the minimium of fuss.. though our PA man took a long time to set-up, and clearly needed some longer leads, i thought in the end he did a good job so i'm looking forward to hearing his recording with keen interest.
apologies for seeming somewhat down after the gig but that's what happens to me.. it always has and i think its just the adrenalin rush coming to an abrupt end. it hasn't stopped me coming back for more so far! (actually it was worse when i had to look forward to packing up the drum kit, so perhaps there is an advantage to playing bass after all.)
anyway i have to say thank you to corinne for suggesting to me i might like to come along to that original rehearsal a few months ago..i very much hope we can go further with SS and achieve some mores successes like last night! oh. and thank you to whoever the drunken rachel was for far too many kisses afterwards! ssshhh, dont tell moira! Wink

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty the dvd..

Post  joolz Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 am

.... so where's it on sale?

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Last Night and very nice comments from the audience

Post  Emmy Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:37 am

Just to tell you all that I had some very very nice comments from the audience about our performance last night - including how good we sounded, how nice it was to hear a live band, and that we all clearly enjoyed what we were doing - oh and someone said to me that we were very 'uplifting'... she must have been in the toilet for 'Run' and 'Will You' ... I watched the dvd of our performance last night, and we do indeed look as though we are having a right old laugh. And we don't sound bad either. Well done all, I, for one, enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks all. Emmy Very Happy

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:26 am

Well, well, well, well, well....I don't know about the rest of you but I certainly got a huge buzz out of last night! All those people who got up and danced, the applause, the comments afterwards, all good!
I'm now looking forward to:
> Expanding the set
> Getting us on my space
> Listening to the recording
> Getting us on Lemon Rock et al
> The next gig.

See you all on 7th at Corinne's. Cool The musicstand meister !

Tony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty directions

Post  joolz Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 am

glad you had a good time in london.. thought you'd gone quiet on here!!
i guess those directions are the same for the rest of us who have gear to unload?
J

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty directions

Post  Corinne Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:57 pm

hi Jules, sorry, been on london got back this eve. Charlie Haydon at the festival hall with carla bley and the liberation music orchestra...v v good and ornette coleman came on stage,,,wowza.

anyways to more things shirley, directions are

come down south street from town and take second left into palace gate. drive about 20 yards and you'll see an archway (old cathedral type of arch) drive through that and up in to small car park, here he can unload and i can show him where he can put his car,

if coming from inner bypass, you go up to traffic lights at major junction and hanger left into south street.... up and before road bends round to left you take turning on right = palace gate.

does that make any sense?

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty directions to the gig

Post  joolz Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:07 pm

folks (mainly corinne!).. i need to give joe 'the pa' some directions in terms of way to the cathedral gardens and in particular the arrangements for parking.. can you write something here or send me an email please?
hope you're all enjoying le weekend!
bfn
jj

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Hanging in there....

Post  shelley Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:31 am

Hi guys, just to say that I will prob have to give the Tuesday following the gig a miss as will be recovering from Glastonbury.........lol! Have said it now cos know I will totally forget in all the excitement of Wednesday. Yes, go for the recording from the PA.

Worked last night doing HypnoBirthing with a couple in Torquay, 1st time for a year, and would you believe it but he is a drummer in a covers band and he has his own PA, which he hires out. Inbetween breathing and relaxation techniques we have also been discussing microphones and the like. Maybe I could hypnotise him into lending us his PA for free.................Any Secret Ethics Committees that may be spying on this, Im JOKING, right!

Steve, lots of VERY LOUD guitar coming from Nathan's room. Phil has commented though on the good quality sound.

C U Tues everyone. albino

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty Hello

Post  omnivore23 Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:53 pm

My name is Steve.

If I wasn't so busy advising Gordon Brown, training the England netball team, ghost-writing Damon Albarns autobiography, secret-agenting and snorting coke from between the breasts of starlets I would be a more regular contributor, but, you know, needs must and all that.

Anyway - recording yes, extra choruses yes.

The CD sounds really good doesn't it! Well done us.....

omnivore23

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty and next

Post  Corinne Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:19 pm

Nov 6th

Fri eve at the Coaver Club, Devon County Council...benefit for Soundwaves. will be ticketed and it's big! What a Face

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 4 Empty recording..

Post  joolz Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:33 pm

ok.. that sounds like a concensus because steve had already said it sounded like a good deal.. so i'll tell joe we want the recording!
i think the idea of a few extra choruses is fine too.. given the audience, even if we gaff it up then it wont really matter too much.
need to dash out now.. catch you guys here over the weekend! bring on wednesday.......... bounce

joolz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum