Slightly Shirley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Band Stuff

+2
Corinne
Tony
6 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty toosday

Post  joolz Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:45 pm

hi folks.. just a reminder i wont be there this week.. in london for a magma extravanganza! have fun and see you all next week.
J

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty My Choice for tuesday

Post  Corinne Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 am

we talked about all coming with a track, that we could talk about the arrangement of and why we think it would suit the band.
I have quite a list of favs, but this one in particular would be great fun to start with, i think the sax line speaks for itself but i think accordian could have a lot of fun too, doubling up with sax or sitting a thrid above. it's written for partying/dancing! whatever we may think of dear Van ! http://open.spotify.com/track/3VWNSt7w2Z35XBePZu9ni1
Emmy, can you listen and sing along and let me know if it's in your key, i dont want to work out chords etc we need to alter the key:D

can we give this a chance before we veto, pretty please?

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty bits

Post  omnivore23 Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:42 am

consider them redone

omnivore23

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty my bits :)

Post  Corinne Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:32 am

yes please, sax and vocals .... thank you xxx

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty I'd like to redo my bits

Post  Emmy Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:04 am

as it were, please Steve

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Contrary Mary

Post  omnivore23 Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:54 am

Does anyone want to re-do any of their parts on the demo tracks?

I can bring the recorder again and it will be a lot less hassle as we wouldn't be miking up the whole shebang.

I actually think River Deep realy kicks some ass(or should that be arse) , especially from the start of the second verse onwards - it seems a shame to discard it for the sake of a little re-doing (I'm thinking sax in the verses and vocals - first verse and chorus). As it stands Dreams and Dililah are smashing, but fairly demure and anyone booking us might be interested in our arse-kicking potential non?

omnivore23

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty members tab?? rune? eh.. what? where??

Post  joolz Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:44 pm

anyone else in the dark about a members tab?? i can't see one.. wur 'tiz?

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Rune?

Post  Emmy Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:44 am

ooh praps we've got a fan/stalker?.... either way we've been noticed Very Happy

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty whos is Rune?

Post  Corinne Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:27 am

if you go to members tab, Rune has joined us????? Hello Rune, wanna join a band? Well, unless you're multi talented, good looking and very very very wealthy, you cant! affraid

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty My Space

Post  Emmy Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:31 am

just brilliant Joolz, thank you.

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty the deed is done

Post  joolz Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:02 am

on myspace...

now.. i'm off to the khazi! :-)

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Kosh me....

Post  joolz Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 am

.. in the carzy!

anyways folks.. ive decided to put up delilah and sweet dreams under their proper titles. if there's a problem i suspect the worst that can happen is that we get blacklisted and removed from myspace. so I'll do it!
Corinne has so far vetoed the publishing of Rover Jeep Mini Hyabusa so I'll leave that one till we've chatted en bloc.. Personally i don't think its that bad.. but....

till tomorrow

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Copyright

Post  Emmy Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:45 pm

Well, what fun, may I suggest:

Sweat Drams (drunk version)
De Lilo (summer version)
Rover Jeep Mini Hyabusa (driving version)

And for our new songs we can have:

Percy
Carzy
Kosh me
In Town
Road to Somewhere
and
Denise

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty copy right

Post  shelley Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi, Phil says that they had a slight problem with Myspace with The Morrisons (his band). They were taken off line for a couple of days after being investigated for breach of copy right..... which is interesting as they write all their own material! I agree with the slight tweaking of the song titles.

As far as the three we recorded, I think saccharine aspirations was my favorite!

Yes, I'm free in March, as far as I can tell. Trying not to think about it really because it has winter betwix now and then......

Oh, and, if we have to change our rehearsal days, I difinately can't do Wednesdays up till Christmas, am doing a course on that night. sorry.

....and thats it a think. See you all on Tuesday, except Tony, have a good trip!

albino

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty if it helps...

Post  Corinne Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:36 am

re-offenders are covers band, so what heather does is every so slightly change the name of a tune, so for example
rocket man becomes rocket,
sweat dreams could become, dreams etc

they have had web sites and myspaces for years and never had any problems whatsoever. she makes it impossible for other people to download the tunes from the sites, this is in the settings and easy to do.

we're small fry, no one will care.

I am more than happy for jules to upload dreams and dahlia, not happy about deep streams and high mountains- i dont think our playing does us justice, and thats not cos my ego's huge, its just that its no way as good as the other two.

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty track names...

Post  joolz Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:27 pm

Emmy - i understand your comments. but copyright is copyright so AFAIK we would be breaking copyright even if we posted them on our own website. the issue with myspace is that if we put copyrighted tracks there, myspace are effectively endorsing the copyright breach.
so wherever we put them we need to disguise the real track names.
There used to be a local band in bristol who changed their name to "Armit*ge Shanks" after they were threatened by the legal arm of the genuine Armitage Shanks..and they go away with it.

So.. instead of yesterday's proposal, how about:
Swee7 Dr3ams
Delil4h
R1ver Deep M0unta1n H1gh

Looks more deliberate? Better ???

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Miss Spellings

Post  Emmy Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:30 am

I don't like the misspellings Joolz (apart from Carzy ....which might just end up in the toilet after Tuesday). I understand your reasoning but it looks like we have learning difficulties. If we had our own website we could put the tracks on there couldn't we? Is it possible to have our own website, what do people think?

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty demo demo demo...and gig

Post  joolz Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:32 pm

well done Steve.. and well done shirley! those tracks are bloomin marvellous given we recorded three in 3 hours, with overdubs, and in a very temporary studio environment! yes there are mistakes but we can be selective what we give people. next time we'll record a whole album live from start to finish with no overdubs and release it within 24 hours.. anyone remember Needle Time by warsaw pakt?.. nah.. didnt think so, i'm the only one old enough! hehe

anyhow i've decided to risk my neck and put the songs on myspace.. but before i do, i need your collective agreement.. so please post your agreement or otherwise here..or we can talk about it next week.

to try and beat the copyright police my plan is to change the names of the tracks slightly shirley style so am proposing:
sweat dreems
deliliah
rivre deap mountin hi

any objections to that?
and yep..the gig is fine..

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Myspace

Post  Corinne Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:29 pm

while we're at it can i please request you use my full title on the myspace account, i am a Dame, in fact i think we're all dames? ! ? I think our biogs ought to be very clear about our titles!

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Carzy LOVE IT!

Post  Emmy Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:19 am

Was that a typo????? ha ha ha

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty I can do

Post  Tony Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:33 am

No appointments yet for Thursdays in March. So would be happy to aim towards doing something then.

I'm away in Yorks next week folks ..so apols.. i'm sure you'll cope. Have a good one, best of luck with Carzy, I think we could do a wicked version, especially if we could get Corinnes car onto the stage !!!!

Cool

Tony
Admin

https://slightlyshirley.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty I'm free

Post  Emmy Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:28 pm

And up for another gig

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty next march

Post  Corinne Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:08 am

just been talking with the City Gate Pub on the iron bridge, exeter.

they want to give over their cellar bar to charities to help raise their profile and bring in new clientelle ? spelling?

anyhows, chatting with Tony we were wondering if you lot would consider doing a benefit gig for rage concern in this venue? one Thursday eve next March...

http://www.citygatehotel.com/cellar-bar.htm

if you agree, i think AC Ex would charge £10 per head, and hire in small PA for you, its a lively room so wouldnt need to kick ass

please don't feel you have to agree, i wont be offended, on the other hand, march is a way off and gives us chance to get full set together with spare tracks as we will also be rebooked for their summer party as we went down so well this year...

let me know if there are any thursdays you cant do next March... I would like to confirm one way or another asap.

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty The snort makes it

Post  Emmy Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:50 am

Steve, that's brilliant - I think I like Sweet Dreams the best.

Apols for any dodgy notes from me, but hey that's rock and roll innit.

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: Band Stuff

Post  Corinne Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Steve, wow you clever techie person, thats bloody marvelous and really quick, hope the editing was easy and didnt take ALL day.

I think i should own up to the snort at the end of sweet dreams , sounds like me, tho never known to snort before...unless comatose Sleep so im told! Embarassed Rolling Eyes

anyway love deliliah and sweet dreams, the sax on river deep not good, so let you down a bit there and poss a tad slow, but 2 out of 3 in my eyes is pretty good, we worked hard and should be v proud. bounce

i'll ask Heather (thurs) about how -reoffenders get round it, whats the worse that could happen, myspace remove our page? cyclops

and yes Emmy i think we should work on crazy and party for next week king

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty MP3 again

Post  omnivore23 Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:20 pm

You will also find them (if I have blocked your email pike with data) at http://www.freewebs.com/omnivore23/slightlyshirley.htm

omnivore23

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty MP3s

Post  omnivore23 Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Yes - it was good fun last night - and I got to be a bossy bastard under the guise of keeping a cool head - you lot are So noisy.

Anyway - if you look in your emails you should find I have emailed you all an MP3 of each song - and I'll give you all a better-sounding CD next week.

As for copyright - I think we should probably be registering with the Performing Rights Society or something - but I'm not sure anyone would be that bothered with tiddlers like us , but then again the MS account isn't in my name ....

omnivore23

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Copyright

Post  Emmy Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:48 pm

Joolz - are you talking about myspace in particular or the internet in general regarding potential breach of copyright legislation?

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty demo demo demo...

Post  joolz Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:06 pm

folks .. i agree, last night was a gas! and i have to say, even without hearing the results we should feel proud of doing what we did in a very short time - and thanks again steve for bringing the yammy and keeping a cool head! 'twas a long night- i didnt get home till 1230 so i've been dead beat all day at work and am falling asleep already tonight.

i have had one negative thought relating to posting the demo tracks on mysite.. the copyright! i've been trying to wade through their terms and conditions and i'm not convinced either was as to whether we can upload our own versions of someone else's songs that are still under copyright protection. i did check joeythelips's myspace and they have some short clips of covers that they feature on their cd's and set list, and maybe that's the way to get around it. We could just give it a go.. my only slightly shirley concern is that the myspace account is ultimately in my name! I suspect that on the basis we aren't making money from those tracks we're probably ok.. but... If anyone is an expert on copyright law I'd be happy for you have a go at unpicking this??
thoughts???

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty rehearsal space

Post  shelley Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:14 am

...actually I think we should rehearse on joolz' bonnet, its posher (no offence Cor! lol! )

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Next week and big up to Steve for last night

Post  Emmy Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks again Steve it was good fun hope it sounds okay in the cold light of day. Are you able to put it on your web space thingy - as you did before for a rehearsal? So we could all have a listen to it?

So, next week, we need to get back on track (no pun intended) and look at Crazy and Party, then go through our all our new songs. No rest.

I had a thought... as Depot X - the building - is closing down perhaps we could permanently rehearse in the car park on the bonnet of Corinne's car?

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty absolutely!

Post  shelley Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:04 am

I had a brill time last night! That was as good as a goog gig, nearly!!!! I take it next week then, all things being equal, we shall be looking at Lets get this party started, and are we still on for Crazy?

albino cheers

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty oh yes

Post  Corinne Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 pm

we just cut a demo
we just cut a demo
we just cut a demo
we just cut a demo
we just cut a demo

it was good fun - i love this band Very Happy its so silly and so much silly fun,
we even had a camp fire in the car park

ROCK ON

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty tonight

Post  shelley Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:38 am

OK... I have been trying to practice the three for the demo and the chunky bass for Crazy, havnt had time to work on Get the party started and now need to bash out an application form for deadline of tomorrow so wont have time to work on the that one. All in all, with trying to get the demo done and work on crazy, should probably keep us busy anyway.

c u tonight

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Lyrics for Get the Party Started and tonight

Post  Emmy Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:04 am

Sent by email to everyone for tonight - have just listened and changed them exactly to Shirl's version.
To confirm tonight, we are making the demo recording:

• River Deep
    Delilah
    Sweet Dreams

Trying out:
  • Crazy - Gnarls version]
    Get the Party Started - Shirl's version

• running through new songs
I have been singing along to Gnarls - not easy
and Shirl - a bit easier....
See you at 7.30pm tonight. Emmy

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:42 am

?????? confused confused confused ???????

Did I miss something or has Jane Austen joined the band?

My oh My we have been busy on the Forum! I haven't contributed recently as I work so hard at Age Con and never have time to check, yet am so poor so as not being able to afford broad band, therefore relying on libraries or occasions when my taskmaster allows me a luncheon break. (BTW i'm skint too)
Anyway, there certainly seems to be a lot more energy kicking around the Shirls these days, well done gang. Lets hope it translates into goode soundees!
As for keys i'm not sure on either but i'm sure shelley will have the answers when we get to rehearsal tonight. I'll just strap on a capo, if necessary!
C U tonite...

Tony
Admin

https://slightlyshirley.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty one would assume...

Post  joolz Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:03 pm

... therefore that it matters not that one hasn't rehearsed either of the two songs yet to be played as, based on what one assumes was agreed last week, one would assume the accordian needs to view its feet through optical telescopic magnifiers to ensure that they are still there and facing approximately in the right direction that one would assume we are all going in and thus one would assume we'll all get there or thereabouts at approximately at the same hour or thereabouts. one would assume. or perhaps not.

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty one would assume

Post  Corinne Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:04 pm

one would assume that as Emmy posted links to songs that one should rehearse the tracks in those said keys,,,, would would assume the Mrs Lloyd, would indeed comment upon those said tracks if indeed the lady couldnt sing along with those said tracks, one would assume that this was all planned out and that we all concur, one would assume that those are the only two new songs we are trying out tomorrow, one would assume that corinne had kept a copy of the chord chart she gave out for crazy last week and be able to clearly and succintly tell jules with no further ado, which key the said tune is to be played in, but sadly this is not the case and you'll have to rely on shelley or tony to read this in the next 20 seconds!
but go for the spotify link to shirleys party, thats the one i ve been tooting to.
what we did decide tho, is that for future arrangements it is really important for accordian to find its feet in the song before the guitar,, bass and drums, so not having key is not nec. a bad thing

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty aaarrgghhhh.. what key????

Post  joolz Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:38 pm

folks.. no one has responded to my question about the key for crazy and shirleys party! I want to go and practice but.....
a quick response ?? or is it too late???
so many questions, but is there anyone out there in shirley land???

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Crazy bass line

Post  shelley Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Have no fear, Joolz, As per the subject line, the bass is crazy on the fingers so only in short pieces only, you still have a job!

Hi Cor, agree, money for demos non existant at the moment, too busy spending it on kids bus passes, college books, etc etc. etc.

shelley

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinne Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:23 pm

there's no way i can afford to pay for demo. we only want a few tracks for the myspace and to give out to a few pubs etc... its not sposed to be a great recording, just a few tracks where we dont make any mistakes or squeaks etc. we can try it and see. sorry guys i m broke

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty No veto..

Post  joolz Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:05 pm

hi all..no i'm not exercising a veto on crazy, just stating my own feeling about the song which as i have said i am not too keen on. however there are worse songs which i will keep my veto in reserve for! haha..
bit worried about an accordian bass line which sounds like its putting me out of a job! even more hahaha's!!

i'm not sure a zoom in the middle of the room is really what we should be aiming for.. if we are serious about a demo then really we should record multitrack and at the very least record vocals directly.. and preferably with some reverb rather than via the PA speakers. perhaps we should book a demo session with joe (from £150)???

what key did you agree for the get the party started shirley song and gnarls' crazy?

and emmy.. you're right.. i dont look like a SEB fan and I'm definitely not one! having listened to brief snippets of all her stuff on spotify actually i'm not sure whether there is a better SEB song, though the Jolene cover is not bad. i'm beginning to wonder about bananarama! Smile

joolz

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinne Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:29 am

i think we should def give Crazy a go, am v curious to hear Shelleys arrangement. Its not a song i'd buy but we could make it a lot better than the original and thats the idea.
yes, Kings is on the roundabout opposite st thomas library.

i have the feeling that however much we try and slot jolene back in, it aint ever gonna quite cut the mustard!

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Post  omnivore23 Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:27 am

Hi

Some mighty impressive foruming there you lot !!

I'm going to listen to the other songs across the weekend.

Is J vetoing Crazy? He says he doesn't like it but sees how it might be a ggod one for us - dunno - J are you vetoing?

The King's Head is on Oakhampton Rd neaR to Exe Bridges.

S

omnivore23

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty One Vote Veto?

Post  Emmy Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:57 am

Hi all

1. If we are still opting for the one vote veto then it looks like the only song agreed, so far, by all is shirley.. Get the party started. I am conscious that Shelley is working on Crazy and it and it might be a waste of her time?

2. Corinne please can you confirm location of Kings Head pub?

3. Joolz I am sure you right re a better S.E.B. song - any suggestions? I mentioned it purely as an example of a speeded up more discofied version of Jolene. You don't look like a S.E.B fan but who knows? - (I always liked her mum on Blue Peter).

4. Demo, I am of the same opinion as Shelley - but perhaps a more technical person can add a comment re how we will do this on Tuesday?

Emmy

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Base!

Post  shelley Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:38 am

Sorry, that BASS not Base, lol!

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Crazy

Post  shelley Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:36 am

Have been working on accordian base line for this and got a really good sound, using chords/notes from Cors print offs of lyrics. Its not 3 x as Steve suggested, is 4 X, but played it to Steve over the phone and he liked it!

Re. demo, we agreed to play through the 3 mentioned tracks and record them as Emmy is being pressed for a demo tape from potential client. I think though literally playing with the Zoom placed in the middle, correct me if Im wrong techies!?

With regards to Kings pub, no idea, but did someone mention Exe Bridges?

........and way to go Emmy, this is just what I need!!!!! albino lol! albino

shelley

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty rehearsal notes!

Post  joolz Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:01 pm

crikes.. sounds like you had a very productive session. also a very clear and concise summary..thanks!

i do have one question.. emmy, you mention "the demo".. but no explanation.. what demo? i presume we are making one but when and how?

and this pub Kings that corinne mentions.. where is this?

as for the new suggestions.. my comments are:
gnarls barkley crazy.. personally i hate it.. but not a bad song for us to do.
maccabees.. not keen
noah and the whale.. as above
shirley.. party started.. yes good 'un
sophie ellis bextor jolene.. probably better S.E.B. songs?

joolz

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Shirl

Post  Corinne Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:33 am

oh and i absolutely love the shirl version - get this party started, how hilarious...

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Band Stuff - Page 2 Empty Emmy - wow

Post  Corinne Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:30 am

fab Emmy, thats what we need...clear direction. like it!

i called in at the Kings pub on way home from work... they would hire the back room to us for £10 every other tuesday (cos they've got skittles)

pros...
Steve could keep his drums in SW lockup in their car park, we could use the 2 roland amps and the stage pass PA we used as monitors for garden gig is in the lock up too.
It's cheap
easy beer after!
good for Tony cos he's just down the road

cons...
its only every other week (they hold skittles fortnightly)
have to set up our equipment whic would delay start time for approx 20 mins.
sometimes smells of disinfectant - but hey slightly better than damp fags!

Corinne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum